Ferrero Candy Company
Job Location: Bloomington
Ferrero is a family-owned company with a truly progressive and global outlook and iconic brands such as Nutella®, Tic Tac®, Ferrero Rocher®, Raffaello®, Kinder Bueno® and Kinder Surprise®. As the love for our brands continues to grow, so too does our global reach. Represented in more than 50 countries, with products sold in more than 170, the Ferrero Group is loved by generations around the world. The secret to our global success? 38,767 dedicated employees who celebrate care and quality to craft a business, careers and brands we are proud of. Join us, and you could be one of them.
About the Role:
Ferrero is currently the fastest growing confectionery company in the world! Come and be a part of a winning team!
Ferrero in Bloomington is growing! We've just opened a state of the art microbiology lab and have an opportunity for a Lead Microbiologist to join our team.
The Lead Microbiologist will be part of a team of Microbiologists responsible for the Pathogen and Microbiological monitoring program for finished product, raw material, and environmental samples. In addition to the daily tasks of a Microbiologist, the Lead Microbiologist will support the Laboratory Supervisor and Plant Quality Manager in the daily operations of the Microbiology Lab.
- Create schedule and assign daily duties for Micro Lab Analysts
- Train new employees on Micro Lab policies and procedures
- Manage consumable inventory system
- Manage and facilitate Preventative Maintenance and Calibration Programs
- Manage Consumable Inventory System, Audit Activities, Calibration Program, and Preventative Maintenance Program
- Implementation of new processes, verifications, and validation of effectiveness
- Manage daily compliance of ISO 17025 standards
- Method development and implementation – conduct studies, work with third party vendors
- Coordinate audit activities for Micro Lab (pre-audit, during audit, and post audit)
- Facilitate proficiency testing
- Ensure all microbiological methods meet compliance requirements
- Responsible for Good Laboratory Practices, including equipment monitoring and calibration as well as media preparation and biohazard disposal
- Evaluate, develop, implement, and maintain microbiological testing procedures and programs; secure all appropriate documentation and/or follow-up as required; maintain internal control protocols by record keeping, troubleshooting, and escalation of known issues
- Perform microbiological testing in the laboratory and work to develop new microbiological assays for in-house testing
- Interpret microbiological data generated both internally and by third party testing facilities; report data and trends and initiate appropriate follow-up actions
- Troubleshoot all testing/sampling abnormalities to ensure proper results are reported; initiate proper guidelines for corrective/preventative action immediately
- Investigate product holds for microbiological reasons and make recommendations for appropriate actions based on scientific findings and/or company
- Perform daily plant/lab inspections and manage the facilities environmental testing program; analyze results to ensure a microbiologically sound environment for production
Who we are looking for:
- PhD in Microbiology preferred, or equivalent of 5+ years experience in laboratory environment within food manufacturing
- Advanced knowledge of microbiological lab procedures
- 4+ years progressive experience in a Microbiological Laboratory Environment in Food Manufacturing required
- Advanced knowledge and experience in PCR technique and PCR Interpretation required
- Strong technical skills in interpretation of analytical results, equipment, and troubleshooting
- Knowledgeable in Good Laboratory Practices (GLP)
- Experience with managing compliance with ISO 17025 Laboratory Standard
- Knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and HAACP
How to be successful in the role and at Ferrero:
Consumers, quality and care are at the heart of everything we do. So, to be successful at Ferrero, you’ll need to be just as consumer and product centric as we are - dedicated to crafting brilliant results for consumers around the world.
Ferrero is committed to building a diverse and inclusive culture in which all employees feel welcomed and appreciated and have the same opportunities. We believe all of our people are equally talented in their own way. In nurturing the curiosity and natural abilities of our employees, we provide them, generation after generation, the means to succeed personally and professionally, enabling them to craft their journey at Ferrero. The diversity of our talents is what makes our work environment multicultural, innovative and highly rewarding.
Ferrero N.A. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.